2015 is going to be a landmark year for the CrossFit Games. There is a new scaled division for the Open for the first time ever. You have all experience CrossFit the fitness program. Now, the road to the CrossFit Games is starting and here is your opportunity to be part of CrossFit the sport. The first CrossFit Open WOD will be announced on Thursday, February 26th. CrossFit Lake Forest athletes will have the opportunity to complete these WODs when it will be our workout of the day. For five weeks, every CrossFit athlete in the world will be doing the same workout you are doing.
I don’t love every second of the Open, but I have participated in it since its inception in 2011. The WODs are hard, and truly facing where you stand in the world is humbling. But what I love about it is that I remember each of those workouts and exactly how I felt, where my sticking points were, what I planned on working on as a result, and how I’ve improved from year to year. I also remember key moments where my teammates pushed me through tough reps and made me do things I didn’t think possible. I remember doing double unders in my garage and making Josh tell me why I sucked at them. I remember warming up feeling the nervous anticipation in the room as we all readied ourselves for what was to come.
I also remember watching fellow athletes get their first double under, first pull up, PR their snatch. It’s amazing what you can do when face a challenge head on.
Many things have changed in my CrossFit life, but through those changes, I remember each CrossFit Open.
Here are four reasons I encourage you to join me this 2014 season.
1. Yes. You are good enough. And you won’t know exactly how good unless you push yourself. Even if you don’t do the workouts RX, you might surprise yourself with what you can do. Plus, you need a benchmark for next year. Measuring progress can only be done by challenging yourself, and then challenging yourself again.
The Open WODs will test your strength, stamina, speed, mobility and skill. You may even be able to achieve new movements and weights that you had previously thought unattainable. Both your strengths and your weaknesses (i.e. future goals) will be exposed. After all five workouts of the Open, you’ll be able to look back at your performances and know that you have set new benchmarks for yourself in all areas of your fitness.
2. You will be part of the larger CrossFit community. There’s a whole world out there doing CrossFit. These CrossFitters are doing what you are doing, and feeling what you are feeling. What an amazing opportunity to be part of something so big.
3. You get to compete from the comfort of CrossFit Lake Forest. Most competitions mean travel, or whole days at other boxes, with people you don’t know. This competition is done at CFLF, with your teammates who are all rooting for you. It’s a great way to compete with people all over the world, but from inside your own box with other CFLF athletes.
4. I NEED you. These workouts cannot be done well without each other’s support! An important part of CrossFit is mutually shared experiences (ok pain) and this is one that is going on for 5 weeks. If you can’t beat em…..You will also learn about yourself and your fellow CFLF athletes as we push ourselves together. It’s a huge community builder, and a strong community benefits us all.
5. It’s fun! We aren’t trying to win anything. There is no pressure here. Only light hearted battles with ourselves and our limits.
The Open is a time when “CrossFit—the training methodology” and “CrossFit—the sport” merge together. Yes it’s a competition, yes it’s designed to be fun, but it’s also a great way reach your health and fitness goals.
You’ll never know if you wait until next year, or if you opt out completely. Be open to exploring out what you have now, in this moment. Face the challenge – CrossFit Lake Forest is behind you!